Sunday, July 12, 2015

Honda CB500X First 600 mile/1000km Service.

Please understand that you can do your own first service.Just be sure to document everything really well.All that's needed on the 2014+ Honda CB500X,is an oil change and a check over for loose nut's/bolts,chain,and a general inspection that ever rider should do before setting out on a ride.

Please note that the 2013 Honda CB500X had some new to the market new bike issues.Some were even recalled.Please contact your dealer or Honda about these recalls.The 2013 CB500X required a lot more maintenance than 2014+ models,during their first service.Honda made sure that everything was corrected for 2014+.NO 2014+ Honda CB500X is required to have a vavle lash adjustment at 600miles/1000km.

My service was done at 612 miles.I have just over 5000 miles and I've had no issues with my motorcycle at all.




Here is my oil change kit.just in case you can't see the pics,Valvoline 10W-40 4T fully synthetic oil and a K&N 303 oil filter.This filter is a little longer than the Honda original.I assure you,this is not a problem.



The break in oil didn't look bad at all.Oil changes are done on the side stand.If the bike is straight up,oil will cover the exhaust during the filter change.






Proof the oil filter fits like it was made for this bike.Oh,and I can use an adjustable wrench to get it off,instead of fight a strap wrench.The lower cowl did not need to be removed for the oil change.I did it as a precaution.Now that I know I can leave it in place,oil changes take 10 minutes.




Oil change intervals are 8000 miles on the Honda CB500X,regardless of synthetic or conventional oils being used.

3 comments:

  1. HI, great article, please be aware the first service on these bikes also includes a Valve Check, this is why its important to get this checked properly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI, great article, please be aware the first service on these bikes also includes a Valve Check, this is why its important to get this checked properly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andy.That is only the 2013.They had valve train issues.It was worked out for 2014+.It's recommended to do a valve check every other oil change or every 16,000 miles.I change my oil a little more frequently at 5000 miles.I ride offroad so I change my oil more often to be on the safe side.

      Delete