Sunday, July 12, 2015

Honda CB500X Rear Brake Pedal/Lever and Brake Light Switch Adjustment

If you need to adjust your brake lever position,your brake light switch will need to be adjusted as well.It's easy as taking candy from a sleeping baby.

The tools.

10 and 12 mm wrenches and a good finger.






Locate the rear master cylinder rod and it's adjustment nuts.The lower, and bigger,12mm nut is the jam/locking nut.The upper,and smaller,10mm nut is the adjustment nut.A little bit of adjustment goes a long way, due to the length of the pedal lever away from the pivot point.Turning the nut to the right,lowers the brake pedal,and left raises it.Loosen the lower nut and adjust the upper nut until your pedal is where you like it.Tighten the lower nut while holding the upper nut.





Now the brake light switch needs to be adjusted.I have a lot of experience setting up my bikes, so I rely on experience to set my movement limit before the light switch turns on the brake light.

First thing to do is turn on the ignition switch,but do not start the engine.I use my hand behind the light to see the brake light easier.Push down on the brake pedal, and see how far it goes before the brake light comes on.I set mine at about 8mm of down travel before the brake light is turned on.

Locate the plastic adjustment nut.It's hard to see in my pic,but its there at the bottom of the threaded part.





Use a finger to adjust the nut until the light comes on in the position you like.





The reason I set my switch to come on soon after I press the lever,is for safety.I have almost been rear ended, because I down shifted, and used engine compression braking instead of the actual brakes.So now,I set my brake switch to come on with light pressure on the pedal before the rear brakes engage.This way I can manually activate the brake light without dragging the rear brake,and cause heat damage.Now,anytime I slow down,I lay my toe on the rear brake pedal to let everyone behind me know I am slowing down.







No comments:

Post a Comment